Teeth whitening is a procedure whereby certain whitening gels are applied to the teeth in order to remove external and internal stains thus leaving the teeth several shades lighter. Various concentrations of hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide are available for this use.
The teeth gets discoloured due to a variety of reasons
- The most common discolouration is due to smoking or tobacco.
- Food and beverages like tea, coffee, colas and red wine can cause teeth discolouration.
- Age can cause natural darkening of teeth.
- Certain medications like tetracycline, taken at a very young age.
- Increased exposure to fluoridated water.
- Dental infection, faulty or old fillings and dental treatment like root canal treatment.
There are various methods for closing the space between two teeth
- If you have a single small gap less than 5mm, dental bonding or direct composite restoration might be the best option. It is not permanent and the composite material may stain overtime if you smoke or consume coloured foods and liquids.
- If the teeth are discoloured or there are chips in your teeth in addition to gaps then veneers are the ideal option. They are custom made covers for your teeth and they provide dramatic and attractive results. They dont stain as they are made of ceramic and a cosmetic dentist can give you a perfectly adapted smile according to your eyes and facial anatomy.
- If you have multiple gaps that exceed 5mm and crooked teeth then braces might be the best option. Braces straighten your teeth using wires that are attached to your teeth using composite material.
ADVANTAGES OF TEETH WHITENING
- Teeth whitening is the safest and the most conservative cosmetic treatment available for your teeth today.
- It requires no grinding of your teeth.
- It does not require any anaesthesia, is painless and well tolerated.
- The time taken for whitening is relatively less considering the number of teeth that can be done in one sitting.
DIFFERENT TYPES OS WHITENING
- Tray whitening: Known as At-house whitening.
- In office / Laser whitening.
- Over the counter whitening.
Most teeth and gum sensitivity following whitening is temporary and should subside within a few days after treatment.
ZOOM TEETH WHITENING
- Only dental professionals have access to the professional - strength whitening of Phillips Zoom.
- Phillips-Zoom is the no.1 patient requested professional whitening treatment.
- In fact, over ten million patients have already used Zoom to achieve brighter and healthier smiles.
- Phillips Zoom is not only proven to whiten teeth upto eight shades but it is also safe.
- Phillips Zoom is available at Famdent clinic and comes in different treatment types and strengths to fit your lifestyle and sensitivity.
POST TREATMENT CARE
Your diet and habits will largely determine how long the whitening effects will last. With good oral hygiene and a close watch on the exposure of your teeth to external stains tobacco, beverages, etc, your whitened teeth should maintain their colour for a long time.